Friday, February 02, 2007

Organic Home Delivered Food

So I signed up for an organic home delivery service for fruits and vegetables. I chose the "local box," which only has things from local farms. I'm excited to see what I can cook this week. It arrived just now and I took everything out and looked at it. It's very exciting.

There are a couple of things that I need identified though. Can you help me out?

Here's what I got for $35:
a little box of arugula lettuce
2 grapefruits
2 oranges
2 jalapenos
a bunch of parsley
2 kinds of greens (kale and ?)?
2 heads of broccoli
about 6 tomatos
3 sweet potatos
3 beets? The tops look like chard but the bottoms are round...
a bag of radishes
An empty chocolate wrapper (oh- who could have eaten the chocolate immediately? How strange!)
a bumper sticker (I LOVE bumper stickers)
a bin to trade back and forth


Anyway it will be exciting to see what I can cook with this stuff.

Could you please tell me what these plants are?


8 comments:

Lori said...

Left to Right - Top to Bottom

Kale, Bok Choy
Beets

Sarah said...

thanks. I almost bought bok choy this week and I'm glad I didn't cause now I have some!

I'm reading all about beets online. Looks interesting.

Lori said...

Hey, Would you share your source? I'm interested. But the price leaves me breathless..Especially when you cook those greens down and its only enough for Denali..

Sarah said...

Yes, it's http://greenling.com.
My impression is that the price stays the same no matter the season, so that you might get better deals or variety in the summer.
I just thought I'd give it a try and see if we can eat it all, and if our budget can handle it.

Angela O. said...

A coworker does this same service and has it delivered to the office; She really likes the service. She had gotten spinach in her box the week that all the E Coli stuff happened and they came back and subsituted the spinach with her choice between 2 or 3 other things; that's pretty good Customer Service.

Anonymous said...

Those are collard greens, not Bok Choy. Bok Choy has a white stem.

Cheers,
Matt

T said...

that sounds awesome! A great way to try stuff you've never had before.


oh... I hate beets.

sarah k. said...

This might not help you now, but those are definitely collards. You use them like kale or chard. I love them all. Yeah, bok choi is much more tender and you can eat it raw or lightly steamed in salads. You can use the bok choi stems, but collard stems are too tough. You can use the beet greens too, as long as they're not yellowing. Yummy. Where the heck do you live that you can get all that locally in February? I'm sooo jealous!