Friday, April 13, 2007

Flowers and Clouds



Today we walked to the post office. I pulled the kids and the mail in the wagon. It's about a 1/2 mile walk there and back. The clouds were dripping rain, just a bit, and it was breezy and cool. It was perfect. I thought about a family I know of, where the children rarely go outside at all. I also thought about a study I read that Vitamin D deficiency is on the rise in the United States because people are not getting even their 15 minutes a day outside. The grandparents worry that the kids don't get enough fresh air. I am proud to say that our kids play outside a lot. I am always trying to improve on it by letting them out more often, but it's so nice to breathe the fresh air, to collect pine cones and dandelions, to count the flowers and play with chalk.

We also go camping 3-5 times a year. We get dirty and hike and smell and cook out and swim. We're going two different places here in the next few weeks, in addition to the trip to Nevada. We took Denali when he was only 4 mos old. Yes, it was more difficult, but the kids love it even more than I do. Camping trips bring the most vivid memories for me when I was a kid. Pitching a tent inside a redwood tree, hiking along a ridge, wading in a creek.

Even though I am a city girl, and my kids live in suburbia, I like to think we are raising people who will love and respect the outdoors.

6 comments:

Joel said...

Awww. How nice.

myra said...

I've recently realized that Morgandy LOVES to be outside. I'm not good about taking her outside but I'm going to make a better effort, especially since I need to be walking more. It also seems that she takes better naps after getting out in the fresh air.

Kar said...

There is nothing like outdoor air. :) I love it.

Angela O. said...

Your roses are gorgeous! I'm glad you enjoyed the day out.

Briana said...

Okay, you have to share on how to take an infant camping. I would love to go more often, but haven't figured out how ...

Linda said...

I don't get outdoors enough but the days are getting warmer(30's)and the snow is melting here (breakup yuck) so I'll be getting plenty soon. Do you store vitimin D for winter use?