Sunday, April 22, 2007

More things I finished

Happy Earth Day! I'm so glad I got to work outside today and enjoy God's earth.

Yesterday turned out to be a really productive day. Along with the quilt I also planted a bunch of plants from my neighbor, babysat 3 extra kids for a few hours, and traded bunches of toys out for the kids.

Then today was church. I left the kids in class during two services so I could attend service one and then garden in my plot at church. I weeded, added some plants from my neighbor, watered, checked up on the ones I planted last week, and then mulched. The bed is probably 6 feet by 20 feet. It's the length of two parking spaces, so whatever that is. I had to enlist help with the mulch because I used 5 bags and it could have taken another 3. I asked some middle school girls to help me and though they don't like to get their hands dirty they helped me anyway.

After church as I was getting home someone knocked on the door and asked if they could take our old fence material that's out in the gutter. I said "sure! but it's so old and nasty- it's not really good for much. Matter of fact, I have a bunch of extra, new, fence material in the garage. Why don't you take that as well?"

They were so blown away by the offer of (10) bags of concrete, (8) fence posts, and (4) 16' fence rails. They were very grateful and said any time I wanted some work done around the house they'd be happy to help me in return. I was happy because I didn't have to arrange for someone to take it to the Habitat for Humanity Restore. I have a feeling they won't be back for the old fence stuff, but that's okay. I have faith it will go away somehow.

I left just enough material for Joel to finish off the fence. It's so close to being done! I'm really looking forward to parking in my space in the garage again.

Later in the afternoon I went out and worked on painting my garden border some more. It's been a work in progress for about a year, and it will hopefully look good when done. I only have one more color to paint, but I need more supplies. Since all my veggies are now planted in the wildflower/veggie bed it's looking really filled in and nice.

Speaking of which I have got to put out the tomato guards tonight. So signing off!

EDIT: Made and installed the tomato guards.

What's a tomato guard?
When you plant tomatos you have to be careful of cutworms. They will just eat the tomato plant at the base and there you go. Done.

So what my neighbor taught me is a countermeasure. Take a 2 liter bottle, or a juice bottle, or gatorade. It should be about 5-6 inches in diameter and clear plastic. Each bottle will make two tomato guards. Cut off the top and bottom so you have a long tube, and then cut the tube in half the short way so you have two short tubes (4-5 inches high). Bury that halfway into the soil, 2 inches above and 2 inches below, and put the tomato plant in the middle. This worked well for me last year. It took me about 5 minutes just now to make 4.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Whew! I'm tired just from reading all that!! Good job being productive =) You should sleep well tonight!

Linda said...

You really were a blessing to those fence builders. How glad they must be that they ask before removing the old stuff by the gutter.
I remmber the plastic bottle trick from my old gardening days. It works!

Angela O. said...

OMgoodness, Sarah! You did so much! I like gardening though--it can be so peaceful and then you have something beautiful to show for it.