Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Chronicles of Narnia

I love the Chronicles of Narnia. My grandparents gave me my first set when I was about 8 or 9. I still have all of them even though one kid moved away after borrowing one. I tracked him down.


About 15 years ago someone decided to renumber them according to when they supposedly occurred in Narnia instead of the order in which they were published. This bugs me because it changes the whole feel of the series. Here's the order they were published in:
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Prince Caspian
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Silver Chair
The Horse and His Boy
The Magician's Nephew
The Last Battle

Here's the order someone decided they should be read in:
The Magician's Nephew
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
The Horse and His Boy
Prince Caspian
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Silver Chair
The Last Battle

I would propose that the Magician's Nephew and The Horse and His Boy are both too esoteric to be that early in the series. You really have to be invested in the series to enjoy these two, and someone thinks they should be #1 and #3? Come on people!

So when I acquired the series for the church's library I renumbered them to their original publishing order. Call me silly.

4 comments:

Amy said...

silly

Anonymous said...

Fight the Power Girl. I couldn't agree more. Silly publishers methinks.

Lori

Angela O. said...

I never got into those books. I had no interest in seeing the movie but was pretty much forced to because of other movie times a year ago Christmas and was surprised to find I enjoyed it. The weird goat guy still freaks me out though. But, I'll give all the books a chance now when my book pile allows. And I'll read in the published order too.

BP said...

I've never read these books. It is on my "to read" list though.