Thursday, August 23, 2007

Freedom and Joy

A few days ago I took the kids to an evening "Back-to-school bash" for my alma mater. Joel couldn't come along and I wasn't smart enough to invite my friends who also attended the same school.

Emlyn picked out her favorite party dress to wear. Denali just wore whatever.

When we arrived I was both pleased and dismayed to see a huge in-ground pool in the backyard, where the party was taking place. Almost immediately both of my children went and sat down on the edge of the pool and stuck their feet in. They took their shoes off first so that didn't bother me. In fact, I stuck my feet in too. It was a warm evening and the water was nice and cool.

At first I was somewhat chagrined to be at a party with lots of adults and a few kids, and me sitting with my feet in the pool with my kids. They were excited to be there and running around the pool, getting balloons out and gradually getting more and more wet. Denali eventually got wet up to his armpits.

As the evening wore on, and my small-talking abilities (what little there were to begin with) petered out, I spent more and more time watching my kids play with the other kids there and with the water.

And you know what? I had a good time anyway, even though I didn't have any philosophical conversations about university or religion or politics. I didn't even hardly meet anyone new. Instead I played.

Inspired by this post over at Lilting House.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Sounds like you and your kids had a great time! I think that's more important than being "adult" or proper =)