Monday, October 01, 2007

We Can't Do it Alone Discussion Questions and References

References

Matthew 6:1-4
“Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men, I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.”


Matthew 25:34-40
“Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
“Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
“The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'”


Acts 2:42-47
They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.


“Move Me Aside” Lindsey Kane
move me like You move the trees/change me like You change the leaves/calm me like You calm the seas/Lord move me aside and move/free me like You free the rains/break me like You break the chains/use me like You use the pain/move me aside and move/chorus: Lord here I am/move me aside and move in me/move in this place/until I embrace You King of Kings/move me aside/water me like You water the land/hold me like You hold out Your hand/love me like only You can/Lord move me aside and move/rule me like You rule on high/fill me like You fill what is dry/lift me like You lift the sky/move me aside and move/repeat chorus/apart from You I can't do anything/let it be more of You less of me/and would You use me and show me it's all for Your glory/move me aside and move/Lord here I am/repeat chorus

“A Stone for a Pillow” Madeleine L'Engle
p. 18
We need to remember that the house of God is not limited to a building that we usually visit for only a few hours on Sunday. The house of God is not a sage place. It is a cross where time and eternity meet, and where we are—or should be—challenged to live more vulnerably, more interdependently. Where...we can listen to the stars.

Discussion Questions

1.Read Madeleine L'Engle's passage, above. How can you live more vulnerably, more interdependently? What does that look like?




2.Lindsey Kane, a local musician, asks God to move her aside, to get her out of His way. Why is it so hard to turn off our judging brains and our prideful hearts?




3.Share a time when someone served you and you felt Jesus acting through that person.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Amen Sarah! I'm sorry I missed this in person but thanks for posting it. I totally agree that the church is about community and living with each other through the peaks and valleys. I remember when one of our good friends brought us dinner after a miscarriage, and it wasn't about the food...it was that they were right there with us during the hard times, even when there wasn't anything to say. It's hard living in a different town from our families, but we're so blessed by our church family each and every day. And we're especially blessed by serving our church family and others! Thanks for setting a great example and reminding me why it's so important.