Thursday, January 17, 2008

Yuck

Well I'm pretty depressed. Which is nonsense considering all I've been blessed with in my life.

I just can't seem to keep up with this house.

Although I read in CS Lewis' book the other day, The Problem of Pain, that of course we can't get too comfortable in this world. We can't let it go perfectly. If it seems to be going perfectly, we will lose sight of our real goal. The real prize is not a new fridge. Or HD TV. Or losing those last five pounds. That is not the prize.

The prize is eternity in the best place ever. With God. No bills to pay, no dishwashers to fix, no dirty diapers to change. That will be wonderful.

No, what I read wasn't about the whole life isn't perfect thing. I just remembered. It's this:

We say life is so short. So transitory. Why can't our lives be longer? Why did [a loved one] have to die so soon?

Why would we want this life to continue farther? We have already managed to mess it up so much in just a few years! Honestly, if I had 200 more years to go, I would be even more depressed. I can't even make it through one day without being short with my kids. Why would I want 200 years?

Oh, Father. Please just send Your Son back so we don't have to toil through this any longer.

But until he comes, I will TRY to take each day at its best and see it for what it is. I will TRY to laugh with my children, and be silly with my husband, and read good books (the bad ones aren't worth my time), and read good blogs. Which there are a lot of.

[End of stream-of-consciousness]

3 comments:

Amy said...

Good focus, Sarah.
I love you.

Angela O. said...

It's ok to have a bad day every once in a while - it's grey and rainy. But here comes the weekend! May your spirit be renewed.

BP said...

Thank you, I needed that.