Saturday, February 16, 2008

Valentine's Day

My friend at Raindrops and Rainbows posted about her husband and their first Valentine's Day. It made me want to reminisce about Joel and I and our first Valentine's Day, which was the same one as my friend's.

We were both freshmen at ACU and decided that after the disaster that was dating in the fall (not with each other but other people) that we would just enjoy being single and host a V-Day party for those without valentines. So we made origami and bought candy and watched a Veggietales marathon (10 years ago that was actually manageable). As we did all of these things we realized that we were having a lot of fun. Joel had already invited me to SingSong which is a week after Valentine's Day, so I was starting to think that there might be a spark or two there.

Over the next few weeks we continued climbing trees, going on walks, and hanging out. We soon realized that this dating thing was going well. I don't recall when we officially became a couple, but there would be no going back once we did.

The summer was hard because Joel stayed in Abilene and I went home to CA to work for the youth minister and see my family. Joel and I wrote real letters every day and I stole his flannel shirt so I could smell him. For the 4th of July he flew out to visit me and it was as though we hadn't been apart for 2 mos. We went and did obligatory touristy things in San Francisco and hung out with my family and made out a little bit :)

In the fall when we came back to school we pretty much knew we were going to get married. Joel later told me that when we visited on the 4th of July he knew that he was going to marry me. On our birthday in September we were doing our Bible study and one of us said something about "when we're married..." The other came back and said "I guess we ought to get engaged then, right?" Joel asked me what kind of ring I wanted and I let him know it would have to be silver and sapphire. Joel said it would probably be a while before it could be official because he'd have to go find a ring. So I settled down for a long wait. Little did I know that exactly a week later we would climb a tree and become officially betrothed...

4 comments:

Pryncss Briana said...

That is too cute!

Merryheart said...

And he called her parents before making it official to get our "permission." Dad had a lot of fun teasing him when we called back - I knew that was probably what he was going to ask beforehand, and I was right! I'm glad you found such a wonderful guy.

Bluecanary said...

I remember that well. That was the first night I saw VeggieTales and I was sold. That was also the only Valentine's Day I was actually in a relationship with somebody, so we pretended not be dating that night, and we had a blast, (we probably didn't act like it though :P)

Thanks for reminding me of this great memory, and for introducing me to VeggieTales.

BP said...

What a sweet story! I don't think I ever knew all of it about your engagement.