Thursday, April 10, 2008

Officially "Teacher Sarah"

Well today I started my first official payroll type job in years. I mentioned last week that I have switched from volunteering 5 hours a week to tutoring/teaching 2 hours a week. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I pull out 5 kinder students at a time to help them with their letter sounds and phonemes and all sorts of word things that are tested by the TPRI. I do this with two groups of students. Denali comes along and hangs out, and I actually ask him to participate too.

Today went fairly well. Considering it was my first day it went very well. If you're a teacher of children you know that you have to establish discipline and a pattern of behavior. So today we worked on that and one group went very well. The other group still needs work in that department, but I think it will go nicely.

Denali managed very well for an hour, and I was so proud of him. He was able to do some of the things the other kids were doing, and he sat still just as well as they did.

I am so thankful to have a school that encourages me to work there, and that lets me bring Denali along.

And I'm making money!

6 comments:

Kim P. said...

That's great that you can take Denali with you! I hope it's fun and rewarding for you.

Mandi said...

Good for you! That's so great!

Angela O. said...

I think that is wonderful! I wish more work places would allow that.

Alyson said...

Yay for money! I smell another trip to Petticoat Fair! :)

BP said...

Thanks for telling us about it! I am glad Denali can go with you. I'm sure he'll gain a lot of information from the lessons.

littlebiggirl said...

Congrats! That's exciting and it's nice you can bring your son.