Sunday, May 18, 2008

Prince Caspian the Movie

Last night Joel and I had the opportunity to go to a movie.

I looked on the internet and found out that Prince Caspian had finally been released! Immediately that was the only thing I wanted to see.

Out of all the thousands of books I have read in my entire life, the Chronicles of Narnia are my favorite. I'm a little obsessive. Not like I can quote the books but more along the lines of I would kill to see the movie and I would know exactly where the movie went wrong.

Sure, I saw all the Harry Potter movies. And I read all the books more than once. But I couldn't tell you, like some people, that Hermione said "blah blah blah" instead of in the book where she said "bleh bleh bleh." Or whatever.

But anyway I digress.

Turns out Joel was too tired and worn out to go to the movies. So I tried unsuccessfully to find someone who could go with me at the last minute. We're talking leave your house now last minute. I couldn't figure out who it was that I really wanted to go with me to see this movie.

So I went by myself.

And the movie was pretty good. I will say that if you are a purist, you would be disappointed. Without spoiling (I hope) I'll just say that they added an entire battle and invasion and left out most of the back story. But I was okay with the way they did it. If you've read Prince Caspian you might remember that the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the book runs a little slowly. One might even call it *gasp* boring. So the film people had to liven it up a bit.

And I was thankful that the overarching theme of the book stayed the same and was well supported and communicated. How does one keep faith when one has no tangible evidence of a higher power? How does one lean on God's strength to get through trials while at the same time proving one's own strength and faith? It is hard when trials come my way. It's hard to remember that I don't have to make up the whole solution on my own. This movie was a good reminder of that.

God is real. God is there even when I can't see Him. He cares for me and He loves me.

And man, Susan was wearing some awesome dresses.



At the very end of the movie, as I was thinking about the changes the writers had made, and the themes of the movie, I realized who I wanted to be sitting next to.

It was Shannon. I don't talk about her much because she moved away a few years ago. And I miss her dearly. There's something to be said for a kindred spirit. The first time Joel met her (I wasn't there) he gave her my phone number because he knew we would immediately become fast friends. And we did. We immediately understood each other, and our respective failings, and worked around them. A kindred spirit friend is a treasure. Where you never apologize, never hide things, never worry that the other won't understand what you're saying. A friend who could have discussed the whole movie with me, and we would most likely have agreed on how it turned out. Who would have dropped everything to come to the movie with me. It hurts to have a friend move away. I don't like to talk to her on the phone because we can't go to Half Price Books together anymore, and we can't go to each other's houses without months of planning.

I am so thankful to call her a friend (and I did call her last night, really late) and I hope that I can figure out this long-distance friend thing. Because she's worth keeping around.

4 comments:

Angela O. said...

I like going to the movies by myself every once in a while. Glad you had a good time and enjoyed the movie. Yes, hard to be away from that kind of friend...

Anonymous said...

Saw it last night. It was good, but were you disappointed by the whole Peter as combative power monger theme? And how about the whole caspian/susan thing...didn't like it a bit. The whole White Witch sequence was annoying. Those bugged me the most. I didn't mind the extra battle too much. Lots of fun talking animals to watch. Now I'm ready to read the books again. I haven't read them since the first movie came out. I miss them. Dawn Treader is going to be GREAT!

Lori

Sarah said...

Peter was kind of a jerk in the book too. Maybe they overdid it a bit but the power struggle was present in the book. The Caspian/ Susan thing was predictable considering it's a Disney movie but not necessary and not true to the story. The problems I have with all the scary scenes (White Witch, etc) is that when I first read the books I couldn't accurately imagine things very scary, so when I see them in movies it's frustrating to me because it's always more scary than I imagined. Yes, there was a scene in the book about them trying to bring back the White Witch, but it wasn't as scary in my mind. I have that problem with Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and Chronicles of Narnia.

We are reading Dawn Treader with the kids right now and I agree- that one will be very good without too much changing of the book. I think the Silver Chair, Horse and His Boy, and Last Battle will be fine without too much rewriting. But Magician's Nephew will probably be too slow for movies. I love the creation stuff but don't think it will go well with traditional Disney audiences. If that makes sense. Magician's Nephew is more saga-like rather than action.

patrick said...

the makers of Prince Caspian kept to the original story surprisingly well... i heard they were going to make it into a silly pure-action flick, but thankfully this was not the case