Saturday, June 14, 2008

Mission Trip

Well it turns out our good friend Tim is helping with a mission trip in Houston this next week. I didn't find out about it until yesterday, but it's so close to us, and the theme is reading, so I decided to pack up the kids and go help. The theme is Charlotte's Web, and I hope to be a help.

It will be interesting because I'm taking the kids, but I think it will work out.

I'm considering taking along about 50 chapter books so that we can give each kid a book. The thing is those can get pricey. If you have an interest in helping, and want to either donate some books or some money, let me know. I'll probably hit up Half Price Books and see what I can find for $1 each book.

I'm pretty excited! This sort of thing combines a lot of talents I have (teaching, reading, missions), and it's always great to visit with old friends.

I wish Joel could come but he's got a big release due on Wednesday. It will actually work well because then we'll be out of his hair while he's programming.

3 comments:

Lady Arden said...

Hi! Good luck on the mission trip -I hope things go well. I used to go there with my church in the summers to. It's a lot of work, and hectic, but those kids are full of love and need. How can I help donate for you? Half price books is a great idea -but really anything little stickers from the dollar store, etc are good motivators and cheap little ways to help tell the kids they are loved. All my best to you and the kids and of course to Tim and his group -yeah I read about it on his blog to. It's a great cause and I'm sure you will bless many by going and helping.

Ruth Ann said...

Have a great trip~we have a friend in Houston that is a member of that congregation...we visited with her one time...it truly is amazing what they do there.

BP said...

I hope it was a blessing for you all!