Thursday, June 12, 2008

Six Year Olds Converse

"Mommy, when do I get MY phone?"

"I'm sorry, what?"

"When do I get my phone? Julie* has one."

"You are not getting a phone until you are 10. Or 12. Or 16. I'm not sure yet. But it's a long long time from now."

"So, that's five years?"

"Actually, no. You will get a phone when you are 16."

You see, it's easier to bring the date closer than it is to push it farther out.

I think my new standard answer is just going to be 16. No matter the question. It's a lot easier than having to actually think first.

Those darn kids.



*Name changed to protect the "innocent"

3 comments:

Pryncss Briana said...

Bella asks that question at least once a week. My answer every time is "When you can sign the contract yourself." :)

Amy said...

I think we are going with, "when you can drive" as our pat answer. She hasn't asked when she can drive yet. (42)

Angela O. said...

It's 12 for my neice and she can hardly wait. The neighbor girl has 11 as the age. I can hardly remember to keep up with mine so I don't think it will be that big of a deal to D. Then again, "mom" will not be as important or as cool as the friends in a few years so who knows . . . .