Friday, December 12, 2008

Beauty

I know I have been scarce; in addition to all the holiday craziness my computer broke and I am limited to time in the evenings on Joel's work laptop or checking my email at Emlyn's school. The school filters don't allow most networking websites like this one.

This evening we went to a holiday bazaar downtown. I was expecting to see something like a craft fair, with a lot of quilts, shabby-chic dolls, and Texas stars. Instead I was pleasantly surprised to see beautiful high-end artsy things that were right up my alley.

I think I could easily have spent $43000 if I had it. The art was so beautiful and colorful. I saw beauty in wood, ceramics, pottery, cloth, and the list goes on. I was inspired and awe-stricken. I wandered around just staring at the beauty and wishing that I were that good of an artist.

I kind of think of it as filling up my creativity gauge. After an hour there I felt like I could create anything with just a little training and time. I would go to a mosaics booth and imagine making a mosaics creation. I would go to a silk-cloth booth and imagine standing in my backyard, dying silk with a friend and then combing beautiful designs on it.

I did not buy anything. Overall things were out of our price range and we have already completed our Christmas shopping. But I got business cards from some artists, and now I can dream about mosaics classes or painting or weaving my own hammock. Or something simple, like sewing.

I've started sewing on commission. I think my only client so far has been satisfied with the turnout. I made her 5 stockings and a tree skirt, and then I made her two dresses for her little girls and an applique on a shirt for her little boy. After the holidays I will be taking more orders. I think for the beginning I will start with people's specific orders and then later I will branch out. Now that Joel's mom is in town we may start an Etsy store and sell both of our creations on there.

I'm tired but glad we went to the bazaar. Catch you later.

1 comment:

Angela O. said...

I sooooo understand.

Congrats on the sewing projects! Sounds like a great idea.