Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Lesson on Fasting

My lesson today went well. The ladies seemed very interested to discuss a topic that for some reason people don't talk about very much. One question we came up with is this:
Is fasting for spiritual reasons just something we do from food, or can we fast from other things? If we fast from other things, is it just self-discipline and self-control? What do you think?

My opinion is that if you are giving something else and turning that time towards God, then it's fasting.

2 comments:

Angela O. said...

hmm. I don't know. This is a new subject for me. In fact, I had to look up fasting and the reasons for fasting for Lent up the other day. Danielle started asking me questions and I realized I didn't know any real reason. So I appreciate the lesson.

Mika Hinson said...

I think fasting requires giving up something that is essential for your survival in order to lean on him...now "essential for your survival" could mean a lot of things...Diet Dr. Pepper...coffee...your internet life. Cause I think survival means getting through each day. It's probably different for each individual. But having recently fasted from food, it is a CONSTANT nagging reminder of how much we need to be filled by his spirit. It's amazing how empty your stomach can feel, but how full your spirit can feel at the same time (when you're turning to Him).