Saturday, March 21, 2009

Roll to the Middle

I returned home today to a wonderful husband and a new dress. I want to share something I wrote on this trip when I was missing Joel.

Sara Groves sings a song “Roll to the Middle” where she talks about fighting with her husband and making up again. I love the power of the song. I think there is strength and honor in admitting weakness, and yet I don't talk about fighting with Joel very often. Mostly because it doesn't happen very often, but also because it's a taboo topic. People usually don't publicly admit they fight.

One of the lines says “[when fighting is] when I see the power of our love because it's not there.” That is so true. I take Joel's love for granted. I take the wonder of our blessed relationship as just status quo, and until it's not present, either because we're fighting or because I'm away from him, I don't realize how good it is.

Here are the lyrics to the song:
We just had a World War III here in our kitchen
We both thought the meanest things
And then we both said them
We shot at each other till we lost ammunition

This is how I know our love
This is when I feel it’s power
Here in the absence of it
This is my darkest hour
When both of us are hunkered down
And waiting for the truce

All the complicated wars
They end pretty simple
Here when the lights go down
We roll to the middle

No matter how my pride resists
No matter how this wall feels true
No matter how I can’t be sure
That you’re gonna roll in too
No matter what, no matter what
I’m going to reach for you
from lyricsmania.com

2 comments:

bp said...

Now I have to hear this song. Thanks for sharing. I know what you mean.

Farm Fresh Jessica said...

Amen!