Sunday, April 05, 2009

Gardening, Spring, Working

We seem to finally be all better around here- we had a month of sickness but it's over thankfully.

This last week I started tutoring at Emlyn's school again- I'm doing two hours a week of kindergarten math and two hours of kinder reading. The kids are cute and fairly well-behaved for kinder. I don't think I could do kinder as my full-time job- the hugs are nice but the wiggles constantly would drive me nuts. I much prefer 3-4 grade. Denali enjoys coming to school with me to learn, although in my humble opinion he is ahead of these kids, at least academically.

This year our garden is weighted towards edibles. Our roses are huge, our trees are well-established, and the xeriscaped beds are doing well. We added a raised bed for more thornless blackberries. We now have about 15-20 plants in all. The ones from last year are not very big but they sent out runners and seem to be fairly healthy. I don't know if we will get any berries this year. We put in soaker hoses for watering this time and that should help for the middle of the summer.

Joel bought a fig tree so we now have a fig and a peach tree. I have given up on my wildflower bed and am hoping to get some hardy seedlings from the seeds of veggies I planted. I bought cantaloupe, watermelon, cucumber, yellow squash, and two types of tomatoes. I made 12 baby pots of each type of veggie, so I may have extra seedlings in a few weeks. I'm excited about them, and trying to do this the right way this year. I also have a soaker hose in the old wildflower bed, which is where the veggies will go.

The weather is still cool, and I love it. Today I got to thinking about where I grew up and how it's a microclimate. I looked up temperature patterns for Hayward and found that the average lowest temp is 44 degrees and the average highest temp is 74! That's why I've been so surprised here in TX! Texas weather can vary 30 degrees in one day, whereas I was used to 30 degree variance in one year. Crazy. No wonder 7.2 million people live in 7000 square miles. That's 1000 people per square mile! So I grew up there. Compare that to Joel, who grew up in Alaska, with 1 person per square mile. Can you say different?

3 comments:

Angela O. said...

We bought tons of tomatoes again this year. We let Danielle pick out some. So we'll have an interesting group this year. Our new veggie to attempt growing is the eggplant.

Yes, Texas weather is crazy.

Mika Hinson said...

Add Oklahoma to the crazy weather thing. Also- where can I find a green thumb? I kill everything I touch! Off to try to rescue a house plant...

Emily said...

The longer I live here the more it is confirmed: Texas summers are really like winters up north--nothing grows and everyone stays inside (at least the sane people do)! Ah, to cope with Texas heat and temp fluctuations. :)