Thursday, April 16, 2009

Oil in your lamp part 2

What are you doing to get ready for Jesus Christ returning? Are you strengthening your relationship with God?

What about physical things? What physical things are you either letting go of, or remembering that they aren't as important as you might think?

Long term plans- do you make them?

Do you live your life as a light on a hill, or do you show the normal side?

This weekend (Thurs-Sun) I have so much to do that seems very important. And in this physical world it is very important. But when I start to stress out about it I start to remember that all of this stuff won't be remembered in a couple months (okay maybe one thing). Only just a couple things are kingdom-related. And suddenly it doesn't seem so overwhelming any more. Jesus Christ resurrected. Jesus Christ coming back to take us away from this crummy stuff. From the paperwork and the endless cleaning.

So what are you doing to keep oil in your lamp?

3 comments:

Pryncss Briana said...

Good thoughts, many other questions arise from them. What is more important to being ready for Jesus? Having your house in order? Repairing broken relationships? Spending as much time with my kids/spouse/friends as possible? Giving more of what I have to those that live without? What gets me the most is that all of these things are important, but I feel as if I don't have enough time ...

Emily said...

I personally feel that everything flows out of my relationship with Jesus. That when I keep my eyes on Him and truly make Him my God, everything else falls into place. When things are confusing and it all feels like too much, I find it's best to spend more time in the Word and in prayer, even when it doesn't seem I have the time. If He is who He says He is, then He will help us in every detail. When we spend time with Him, He promises to fill us to overflowing. At my most insufficient, He has shown me how great He is.

Bluecanary said...

One thing I try to do when things don't "go my way" is to step back and think if this would even matter tomorrow, or next week, or a year from now. It really helps knowing what to be concerned about and work on or get worked up about and what to just drop. Most things are better to just let go. Also, when inconvienced, I try to remember the real injustices in the world and then realize my situation is nothing compared to what others go through. That keeps me patient and calm, and keeps me out of "world revolving around me" territory.