Saturday, May 23, 2009

Emlyn's Birth Story

Emlyn Grace May 23

Emlyn's "due date" was May 11. I was going to do natural birth and had taken Bradley classes, so I wasn't too worried when the due date came and went. I went to the doctor and they did ultrasounds and said things were still okay so I waited. I was very irritable when my friend had her baby before me when she wasn't due till after me.

But finally on May 23 at 3:30 in the morning I woke up and could tell things were happening and that's when I had bloody show. I woke up my mom and my husband and we thought we'd wait at the house for a while. After all, the average first labor takes 14 hours. But the contractions were different and stronger, and soon they were 3 minutes apart.

We decided it was time to go to the hospital. It is only 7 minutes away. As we started to go inside I had 3 contractions between the car and the hospital entrance. I realized this was serious.

We got into a room and I changed my clothes. The nurses bombarded us with questions and forms. I had to ask Joel to read them and I blindly signed during contraction after contraction. They put on an external fetal monitor but I sure didn't like it. It hurt and tethered me to the bed. I also got a heplock just in case they needed to give me an IV.

I had read "everything" about labor and the people said it would start easy. But it didn't. From when I woke up the contractions had been strong. I was worried that it was going to get much worse. They were very fast and strong; I couldn't even get up. I wasn't getting a break at all. I kept saying, "If it gets much worse I don't think I can handle it."

But very soon I felt like I needed to push. It was probably about 6:30 am. The nurse checked me, and yes, it was time. The doctor and a whole slew of others came in to get ready.

It hurt. But I was so excited to finally see my sweetie! I knew this was best for us, and I pushed. And some lady yelled at me to push. And there was a shift change but noone had seen an unmedicated birth before so they all stayed, so there was double the people (15?) in the room. And at 7:01 am, after 3 1/2 hours she was born.

They handed her to me and I held her, and laughed, and cried, and showed her off, and fed her. She was so floppy and wiggly!

We stayed in the hospital for 2 days and then went home.

I tore and had stitches. I vomited a couple of times (watermelon is yucky coming back up). I also had the shakes.

Was it worth it? YES!

3 comments:

bp said...

I enjoyed reading your story and seeing the pictures through the years! Happy birthday to your special girl!

littlebiggirl said...

Wow, we had really similar labors, but I gave in and had drugs. (I'm okay with my wimpiness.)

This is a great post!

Angela O. said...

love all your photos of your little princess through the years. Can you believe how quickly it has all passed??!!