Friday, June 26, 2009

Thing 8

I have been using Google reader for a while now, as a way to have all of the blogs I read sent to one place. When I first started using it I was reading lots and lots of blogs, especially those of people I don't know at all. It was really handy to have everything in one place.

Now that I've been using it for a long time, I have noticed some pros and cons. The good things are that I don't forget about a particular blog. If there is a way to have an RSS feed, I use it and send the blog to my reader. That cuts down on my reading time. I also like keeping my list private. It used to be in a blogroll but I prefer now to keep what I'm reading more private.

One negative thing I have noticed is that I comment less on other people's blogs, because in order to comment I would have to click on the post, load the comment page there, and then comment. I also receive fewer comments, and I have to think it's because of the same reason.

Over time I have changed my priorities and instead of 40-50 blogs I am now only subscribed to about 20, and very few people I don't know in real life. I really have tried to focus what I read.

A teacher could definitely use this to keep up with the latest news on a particular topic, and to foster a sense of community. It's a great resource.

1 comment:

VWB said...

I too have pared down my list of blogs that I personally follow. I do keep a public blogroll because of the teaching nature of my blog. The problem that causes since it is different from the ones I follow in my reader...I end up have dead links that I don't know about, but I pruned a lot this spring and it is better!