Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Summer Chaos

In the midst of all this brain-bending professional development I've been deluging the blog with, I have also had a lot of issues in my personal life.

Swim lessons are this week and next, and I of course planned them right in the same week as Linda's surgery (more details to follow) and right in the middle of the day.

The kids are enjoying the lessons, so I hear. They've been three days. I've only been to one of those days. It's sad because I really enjoy watching them learn and grow.

I'm trying to lose weight again. I've gained back 12-15 pounds and am now trying to track my eating on SparkPeople and drink much more water.

Linda, Joel's mom, had a partial hip replacement this week, the third one in 5 years. The first two were total replacements, and her left side one was never very strong. Sure enough they had to go back and replace the socket and ball, but thank God she didn't have any infection, and they didn't have to replace the rod (which is inserted into the femur by an uncomfortable process).

I wanted to really show her support through this time so over the last two days my kids have been with 4 different families and I have only seen them 5 hours total. The rest of the time I've been up at the hospital. Most of the time I feel useless. I was able to get some professional development done on the computer, but overall there's a lot of sitting. There have been a couple times when I was really glad I was there. Today her IV "infiltrated" her hand, which basically means the vein broke and started leaking fluid into her hand. It got really tight and her fingers started turning purple from lack of circulation. She was so heavily medicated that when she called the nurse on her phone she was unable to fully communicate the urgency of the situation. I was able to run out into the hall and grab someone.

I am so thankful for my friends who have really stepped up here and helped with the kids. I feel like a sorta bad mom right now but Linda needs me, and that makes me a good daughter-in-law, I guess. We are praying that she will be accepted into a rehab hospital for a few days because recovery is so much easier there. We are also praying that this recovery is overall easier because they didn't have to replace the rod.

I have been able to do some housework and laundry but have basically handed food over to the processed kind. My kids are taking lunchables and pre-packaged fruit everywhere. We pick up kolaches for breakfast and tonight we ate Taco Cabana (which is a better choice than some fast foods).

I honestly don't know how in the world people can handle long term illness or especially NICU. It must be just like this only 500 times more emotionally stressful and chaotic. If this is as bad as it gets I am grateful.

Well I'm off to take a bath and try to relax. Have a blessed and grateful evening. God is good all the time.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Wow! Sarah, I had no idea you were going through all of this. I'll be praying for you. Let me know if you need anything.

Emily said...

By the by, I looked at *that* fitness website you mentioned. Wow! I need some inspiration to drop some poundage, but it seems it's going to take the power of God to move me from whining to actually doing something about it!