Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Thing 17

Rollyo is a website that lets you make customized search engines based on sites you trust and already know. I made a search engine for kid-friendly animal research websites.

It took me a few minutes to understand what was going on and how to use it, but after making my first "searchroll" I think I get the idea.

I was a little disappointed that there are sponsored results mixed in with the real results, and that they are not very differentiated. This would make it difficult for younger students to understand. I realize that the site has to make money somehow but I would first start by teaching the kids not to click on the light blue boxed links.

Other than that I could see many applications: recipes, lesson plan sites, research sites, etc.

1 comment:

linseyc said...

I also think it will be great for resarch projects and I plan on using it this year with my kids too. I like the idea of using it with recipes!