Saturday, August 08, 2009

Thing 23

First of all I am so glad I was able to participate in some professional development this summer. It is so hard to find quality online classes and this one was really great. I wish I had time to do the next one but I guess I will have to wait until next year.


What were your favorite discoveries or exercises on this learning journey?
My two favorite exercises were Thing 19, where I discovered swivel, where you can see lots of kinds of infographics. I really think that would be useful in finding a way to communicate a particular idea to a class. I also really liked Thing 6, where I found retrievr, an artistic site. I can see using that in quilt design or helping kids see how different people have different perspectives.

How has this program assisted or affected your lifelong learning goals?
It surprises me how much the world is changing now. I am nearly 30 and still cannot stop learning the new things out there. If I stop even for just an instant I can get really behind. I consider myself fairly technologically savvy, considering I am a stay-at-home mom right now, but I found lots of new things out there. This will help me remember to keep setting goals, keep putting myself out there to learn new things, and appreciate the professional development for what it's intended to do.

Were there any take-a-ways or unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?
I was surprised at how involved learning new things is. There were some days where I was able to learn about 2 or 3 new things, and then other days one of the discovery exercises would overwhelm me completely and it would take a few days to process the new item enough to be able to write about it.

What could we do differently to improve upon this program’s format or concept? It would be nice if you could offer it during the school year as well for people like me. I am not teaching right now but trying to keep up with my professional development so I can keep my certification current. On the other hand I understand that most people organizing and taking advantage of the program are too busy during the school year to do this.

If we offered another discovery program like this in the future, would you choose to participate? Definitely.

How would you describe your learning experience in ONE WORD or in ONE SENTENCE, so we could use your words to promote 23 Things learning activities? Joyous and amazing

1 comment:

Treehouse-Dweller said...

Hi Sarah! I enjoyed reading your posts, I hope you will continue to blog even though we've finished the 23 things! I am going to do my best to keep blogging on mine. :)