Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Update on Orion

I was able to make the hour drive to Temple, TX to visit with Orion and his parents today. Sondra, my cousin, is holding up pretty well under the strain of being in the hospital. I will be going again for the weekend with my sister. Ben and Sondra were very thankful for the snacks some friends sent. As people came and went the snacks were enjoyed.

Orion is not doing very well. I was there for about 3 hours and he never said more than one word at a time, he never sat up on his own, and he was hardly moving or eating. The doctors are going to start radiation treatments tomorrow but I don't know what effect they are supposed to have. Ben and Sondra are looking into getting into the Ronald McDonald house which would be nice for grandparents and siblings. Right now both of the parents are up at the hospital full time, and the siblings are with Ben's parents who live in Waco. I want to be hopeful, but this truly requires God's intervention and a miracle.

Sondra, mom, seems to be holding up okay but she is the only acceptable person as far as Orion is concerned, which makes it hard for her to get a break. We were thinking that since he will be sedated for radiation treatments that would be a good time for her to get out of the hospital for a while.

It breaks my heart to see a 4 year old boy who is supposed to be jumping around and yelling and learning and laughing just being in the hospital bed. I can't help but compare him to Denali and it is just WRONG. I wish there were something I could do more than what I am doing. I wish I could take away the pain.

I am so thankful for the health of my children and for the friends and family I have that are making it possible for me to go up to Temple to "help."

My mom and sister Grace are here in town and are considering extending their stays so they can be more supportive of my cousin.

Love you all. Go give your kiddos hugs. Give them ice cream. Let them skip cleaning up tomorrow. Let them break the rules without consequences every once in a while. It's not all about discipline.

2 comments:

Kim P. said...

Wow...I really can't imagine what it's like for Orion's parents and the rest of your family. I'm very sorry that they are going through this. We'll definitely include Orion in our prayers tonight, and I'll give Ryan that extra cookie after nap. I'm glad they're close enough for you to visit.

littlebiggirl said...

Reading this truly makes my heart ache. I am sending all my best hopes for your family and I'm terribly sorry that people you love are going through this.