Monday, October 12, 2009

The Invention of Lying

Joel and I went out on a date tonight to see "The Invention of Lying." It's a very clever movie about a world in which everyone tells exactly what they are thinking with no prevarication or dishonesty. Then one man discovers that he can say something that isn't true, and he takes advantage of the ability. Everyone believes what he says because they can't fathom that anyone could lie.

He uses his abilities to get money first, then to get his job back, and then the story goes all wrong.

The man uses his ability to lie to tell his mother that though she's dying, she's not going off into nothingness. She will go to a happy place where all of her friends are and she will have a mansion with no pain or suffering, and eternal happiness.

Sound familiar? He makes up religion. The rest of the movie centers around his "lies" about what happens after you die and his invention of this religion that is eerily like Christianity.

I was very offended that they poke such fun at Christianity, and that they show how gullible and stupid everyone is for believing such ridiculous stuff. He makes the doctrine up on the fly. And the worst part of all is that the characters call "the man in the sky" a prick and other curses.

Can you tell I didn't like it? Yes, it was funny. Yes, it was clever. Yes, the actors were talented.

But I cannot get past the direct blasphemy.

4 comments:

Treehouse-Dweller said...

Thanks for the heads-up! I usually like Family Guy (crude, I know, but very clever usually), but the episode that was on a couple weeks ago made me really stop and think about what I spend my time on and what I put into my mind. In it, Jesus comes back to tell Peter, who was raised Catholic, that He was a Jew. Peter asks what religion he should follow. Jesus says, "Six of one, they're all complete crap." I was like, "Whoa whoa whoa! He wouldn't say that! He'd say, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life, and no one comes to the father except through me!!'"

Sarah said...

that is exactly the sort of thing we need to be watching for. if you cease to notice things like that, you are in a bad spot spiritually.

Pryncss Briana said...

Thanks for the heads up. I am typically a big fan of Ricky Gervais, but not planning on watching this movie anymore.

Merryheart said...

Maybe we should find a way to email Ricky Gervais and the producers of the movie. If this were a movie poking fun at the Jewish or Muslim faith, there would be no end of protests!