Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Perfection

I was gently reminded by a friend today that I do not have to be great at everything or even pursue all the activities that seem fun or interesting. I was initially offended because of course I am good at everything! Hello? Does she not know me?

Then I started to think that it is pretty presumptuous of me to think I can master everything. Or that if I just "give it a go" my results will be as good as someone who has a God-given gift in that area. I will still be pursuing it, but with a more humble attitude.

I also needed my pride to be taken down a bit. I have been guilty of being very prideful about a couple of things in the last few days, and I made some mean comments to someone else.

The strengths I have came from God. The weaknesses are areas where God's light can shine through. It's okay if I am not good at, say, housework. There are other areas where I am awesome. Right? :)

That being said, I will still endeavor to clean my house. I just will never master it like others that I know.

5 comments:

Treehouse-Dweller said...

Amen! I am such a dilettante, but for some reason I like to consider myself an authority on all those topics/activities of which I have only a rudimentary knowledge! I guess that is pride too, huh?

...And I am like my mom in that I have found that cleaning itself can be a therapeutic activity! ;) I just feel more at peace when everything is in its place.

Sarah said...

I don't know why it is that I think I am such an authority on everything. I hope as I age that I will gain more humility.

Angela O. said...

Well, you don't have to pursue all activites that seem fun or interesting but why not? I don't see anything wrong with it. I have a million things that I want to do...but I do know that I cannot do them all right now. There are some activites that will have to wait until I have more time.

Now, the PRIDE thing--boy, do I understand that. This entire last year and a half I think God was trying to teach me about my pride needing to be taken down a little. He must have been trying to teach me other things, too, and it worked! lol.

Don't be too hard on yourself; we are all just trying to do the best we can.

Anonymous said...

The authoritative message :), curiously...

Anonymous said...

It is usual reserve