Tuesday, June 29, 2010

God's Garden

This morning I had a chance to spend a few minutes in our family garden (it's really God's but whatever).

What I saw amazed and delighted me.

Our tomatoes this year have gone crazy to the point that I am almost sick of them. We've had over 2 months of lots of tomatoes every day. The key for us was to put them over by the a/c drain line, so they get lots of free water every day.

Near our tomatoes are the sunflowers Denali wanted to plant. They are huge and beautiful. I have a tiny passionflower vine that has not put out any flowers yet but the Gulf Fritillary caterpillars have found it. This is the only thing the baby caterpillars eat and so the mama butterfly has to find this one plant to lay her eggs. She found ours even though it was barely a foot tall, and every day there are about 10 caterpillars on it.

This morning I saw a cocoon near the vine, which I assume is from one of those caterpillars.

My bird of paradise plant has made its first bloom. If you have never seen one of these you should definitely click the link and see the prettyness. It's gorgeous.

We had a garden spider about an inch long back behind the tomatoes but I don't know where he went.

Our peach tree is so loaded with peaches that we have a stick propping up one of the branches. Every day a squirrel comes and eats half a peach. He seems to think the peaches are ripe but we know they aren't. Soon though.

Every thing in our garden reminds me of God's glory and power and wisdom. I cannot imagine this happening by chance. It is by design.

5 comments:

Pryncss Briana said...

I am always in awe of you guys that can garden. It is a beautiful thing.

Sarah said...

Briana, we just started small with things that were hard to kill and worked our way more complicated. :)

littlebiggirl said...

Sounds lovely! As you know, we have a ton of fruit trees, but we have a fruit fly problem this year. Really upsetting. I hope they don't get the figs.

bp said...

Glad you are enjoying it all! It's hard to imagine being sick of tomatoes, but I know what you mean!

My Mom started a blog, I linked to it Monday on mine.

Thanks for meetting me to get the books!

Emily said...

Such a beautiful description of a happy place! Every day is full of miracles. We just need eyes to see.