Saturday, June 12, 2010

Summer!

"So what are you doing this summer?"

I have been discussing this with lots of people recently- school is out and we have lots of free time to play, see friends, go on trips, and do special things that we don't seem to have time for during the year.

This year specifically we are going to soccer camp (indoors, score!), VBS, swim lessons (also indoors!), we're having a cousin visit for a couple weeks, and my sister Ruth is going to be married. It's going to be great.

Unfortunately all we've done so far is nurse Emmy. She has a nasty virus that has fever and staying on the couch. This is day 6 and we are doing all we can to help her get better. Last night that included grandma watching the kids overnight so I could regain my sanity with a date and some time to myself.

This is frustrating for me. While I enjoy being home with my kids and not having any other calls on my time, I am also frustrated with being home with my kids and not having any other calls on my time. I feel like I am treading water here. I have lots of projects to do around the house but it seems like nursing Emmy is sorta like taking care of a newborn. It is so intense that when there is a break I just mindlessly play computer games or toot around rather than doing anything "productive" that is "on my official list and agenda".

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining too much. It's so so nice to be able to stay home and not have to pack lunches and be certain places at certain times.

I'm just ready for summer to really start. Bring on the pool! And the friends! And the exciting stuff!

On a side note our garden is still doing very nicely. We are getting about a pint of tomatoes and a pint of blackberries every day right now, and soon we will have more bell peppers and figs and peaches. The herbs are all growing well and it's just a lovely place to be. I also got a hammock for Mother's Day and when the mosquitoes are otherwise occupied I love resting there. The butterflies are all coming out of their cocoons and fluttering around, and the heat is holding off for now. All in all this is a great place to be.

This also all reminds me that in heaven there won't be any of these little earthly things to distract us from God's power and glory. I pray that Jesus will come back quickly and that every day here I will be doing what I need to be doing to prepare myself for heaven. And I am so thankful to be a stay-at-home mom who can take care of her sick little girl without being worried about my paying job.

3 comments:

littlebiggirl said...

I am so sorry that your girl is sick! I hope she is on the mend soon. My Emy was ill earlier this year, and it took us all awhile to recover.

By the way, indoor soccer camp sounds awesome!

Treehouse-Dweller said...

Poor Emmy! I pray that she makes a speedy recovery, and then your whole family can get down to the business of enjoying summer!

Your garden sounds amazing!

And amen to the last paragraph!

Sarah said...

Thanks- Emmy is feeling better now and we are having a great summer.